16 September 2006

Something Fishy


If you've visited our new home in PA, I have surely pointed out my 75 gallon African Cichlid tank. This little hobby began while I was in college with a fellow sorority sister, Andrea. The two of us spent hours and loads of cash (neither of which we really had) at the fish store and at home viewing, discussing and adjusting our fish tanks.

When I lived in Canton (downtown Baltimore), I kept the fish tank in storage (the basement). I never set it up, mostly out of concern over the structural stability of my 80 year old row home flooring.

Well, now the tank is up and runinng again and has been for about nine months. Aside from a concern over the nitrate level, my fish seem to be doing fantastic. Tuxedo loves "feed-the-fish" time and I've even had a successful, although unexpected, breeding. Two of the fry batch survived and Andy and I have named them Nemo I and Nemo II. Both baby fish are growing quickly and staying out of harms way - the picture is a shot of mom and dad together.

The tank gives me a few hours of chores every weekend and we really enjoy watching them grow and color up!

- Holly

No comments: